articles by Category
Political & Legal Advocacy

Learn about Berkeley Rental Housing Coalition, the political and legal arm of the BPOA!

Affiliate Member of
The Forms You Need

One of the advantages of being a member of BPOA is having access to a wide array of useful forms, some of which have been created just for our members. For example, The BPOA RENTAL AGREEMENT F09 is specific to Berkeley and includes lead, asbestos and sex offender language. You can view the complete list of available forms here, but only members can download.

BPOA Article Library

Regulatory • July 22, 2010

NEW Lead Ruling

The following is a letter from the

Alameda County Lead Poisoning Prevention Program

regarding the new federal lead rulings that you need to know.

YThank you for your inquiry about Lead Renovator training and the EPA’s Lead Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) Rule.

You may find the following information about the Lead RRP Rule, training requirements, and training providers to be helpful.

Who Needs To Be Trained?

As of April 22, 2010, contractors and rental property owners doing work that disturbs paint or painted surfaces in pre-1978 housing, child care facilities, and schools must be registered with the EPA as a Lead Certified Firm and have a Lead Certified Renovator assigned to each job. To become a Lead Certified Renovator, you must complete an EPA accredited Lead Renovator training.

This includes anyone who disturbs more than the six square feet of paint or painted surface in an interior room, or 20 square feet on the outside, or any window replacement or demolition. Those who are covered include:

  • Renovation contractors and painters
  • Maintenance workers
  • Property managers with their own maintenance crews
  • Rental property owners doing their own work
  • Other specialty trades (e.g. plumbers, electricians, HVAC, etc.)

For more information about the rule, the following websites may have useful information:

Compliance Guide:



  EPA Publications incl. Renovate Right booklet

Successful completion of an Initial RRP course is required to be a Certified Renovator. This class can typically be completed in one day.

Remember, there is a requirement for both a Lead Certified Firm and an individual Lead Certified Renovator. Even if you are a sole proprietor or a small rental property owner, if you do the work covered by the rule, you have to be a Lead Certified Firm as well. The cost is $300 and is good for five years.  To register with the EPA as a Lead Certified Firm go to:

What If I've Had Previous Training?

If you have taken an approved EPA course, you may take a four-hour Lead RRP Refresher class. For a list of approved classes, please refer to the following link:

You will need to be able to provide a training completion form or other proof of training.

Where Can I Get Training?

The Alameda County Lead Poisoning Prevention Program is currently offering an 8 hour course in lead-safe work practices for owners of residential properties built before 1978 in Alameda, Berkeley, Emeryville and Oakland. In order to become a Lead Certified Renovator, people taking this course must also take a four-hour Lead RRP Refresher class for a total of 12 hours of training. The ACLPPP believes that people conducting work on pre-1978 homes can benefit by focusing a day of training on lead safe work practices. The site supervisor/contractor should also learn the administrative and regulatory requirements of the RRP rule by completing the full EPA training and becoming certified. If a site supervisor or worker needs to get certified in a shorter training they can go to another training provider, who offers a more condensed course in eight hours that includes safe work practices, as well as administrative, regulatory information.

The following links will assist you in finding an EPA-accredited Lead RRP training provider in your area:

EPA Region IX:


National Center for Healthy Housing:

There are a number of local EPA-accredited training providers that you can contact about EPA Lead RRP training:

CAL Inc. 707-446-7996 Ext 177

Connor/Anderson Windows:

Environmental Safety 800-968-0590

Global Environmental Network Inc.  800-230-6944

HomeSafe: 800-648-LEAD

RGA: 510-899-7083

SCA: 510-645-6200

Wangerin Environmental  925-825-1066

Alameda County Contractors, Property Owners And Residents

For more information about lead poisoning prevention, healthy homes, and services available in Alameda County go to

If you own a pre-1978 residential property in the city of Alameda, Berkeley, Emeryville or Oakland you may be eligible for additional services. For more information go to:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Alameda County Lead Poisoning Prevention Program

 2000 Embarcadero, Suite 300 Oakland, CA 94606



Receive event reminders, news & alerts from BPOA.
You don't have to be a member to sign up!


September 29
Landlord 101: Managing Additional Tenants, Guests & Subletters

October 06
Landlord 101: What to Do When a Tenancy Ends

October 20
Landlord 101: Options to Reclaim Possession of Your Unit

November 13
Member Meeting - In Person (Topic TBA)

View the Calendar...


BPOA Monthly Newsletter

Another advantage of being a member of BPOA is that you will receive our monthly print newsletter. From news and political reports to articles and advice, we cover the state and local issues you need to know about as a housing provider in Berkeley.
Get your complimentary copy of a recent issue of the BPOA Monthly Right Here .

    Home    About BPOA    Articles    Calendar    Available Forms    Q&A    Resources    Members    Get in Touch    Join    Renew!    Sitemap    
Voice 510.525.3666 • ©2021 Berkeley Property Owners Association. All Rights Reserved.